Just as I crossed the last thing off my grocery list, I heard a muffled chime from my purse. I thought to myself, I wonder if its Dermot's school. Not really believing it was, but teacher Jan was on the other end of the line.
"Hi Sue, Laurie has administered the Diastat for Dermot", she said with a tinge of sadness in her voice. "Okay, I'll be right there" I said. I looked down at my full cart of much needed groceries and pushed them to the register. One part of me wanted to continue and check out as if nothing was happening, the other, wiser part said "get the hell out of here". Another abadoned cart at the grocery store.
This time I call Joe, "I'll meet you there" he says. Three stoplights later and a quick jaunt on the highway and I'm there. Wiped the tears away and ask the receptionist for admittance to the special education wing of the school. I walk briskly to Dermot's classroom. The other little boys are having circle time with the student teacher and look over quickly as I arrive, then they're back to their lesson. Dermot is lying limp in the school nurse's lap, separated from the other kids by a partition. He's still seizing, fifteen minutes after the Diastat is given. The nurse decides to call 911. Is this really happening? I think to myself, yep it is.
Dermot's eyes are open, mouth open, tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth. He's breathing, that's good, no response to stimulis (mom kissing him, dad calling his name over and over, etc.). A police officer gets there first, I think it's proctocol. EMT's are not far behind. They check his vitals, glucose, all are within normal range. Finally Dermot starts moving his hand, he searches for my hand. He's still not all there. Then I feel his stomach muscles contract. He wants to sit up. Absolutely Dermot! Let me help you up. Joe decides we don't need to go to the hospital, I didn't know what to do. Maybe that's why I asked Joe to meet me there this time. Thanks Joe, thank you for being there.
As I write this, Dermot and Joe are at the hospital lab getting blood drawn to make sure his drug levels are all in therapeutic range. Then we'll call the neurologist again. They'll tell us to wait and see, then give us a different drug to add to the growing list.
Tomorrow we're off to the gastroenterologist to talk about getting Dermot a feeding tube, but that's tomorrow. I'll write about that tomorrow...