Routine

I'm still waiting for the blender and the new running shoes to arrive that I ordered online last week.

Children's hospital had free wi-fi and I had an ipad while I spent three days with Dermot in the hospital last weekend. He slept, I shopped.

I found a fantastic deal on a new down coat in anticipation for this year's winter. Some new skinny cargo khakis and a v-neck merino wool sweater will also keep me fashionably warm this coming season. Plus the t-shirt on Etsy I ordered for a friend, (she's going to love it!) and the blender that has yet to arrive will make my morning smoothie ritual much easier.

And of course the running shoes, I checked, they'll be at my house by Wednesday. I'll need those the most. I've been relying on my daily runs as therapy (along with the online shopping) to get me through this illness that Dermot is suffering through. So far he's missed two weeks of school, probably will miss a few days next week and my routine has come to a halt. Or if it's been longer than two weeks, perhaps this IS my new routine?

Wake up in the morning, see Owen and Ryan off to school and drink my coffee and wait for Dermot to wake up. Make my green smoothie from kale, avocado and many other healthy ingredients, check on Dermot. Give him his morning meds while he is still sleeping. Finish my smoothie, drink my second cup of coffee, change out of my pajamas and into my running clothes. Tend to Dermot, who has just woken at ten a.m.. Let him cough out his 3/4 cup of morning mucus, change his diaper, put on clean loose fitting clothes and start the new daily routine of constant suctioning, nebulizing, using the respiratory vest, and changing his position every 30 minutes to ensure the mucus doesn't settle and his O2 level doesn't drop below 90. All this while watching for seizures...

Joe arrives home for lunch, I escape to my friend's house to collect her Vizsla for my therapy session, a 3-5 mile sprint around the neighborhood. Eminem and Busta Rhymes have kept my pace strong and angry, when I finish I'm calm and sweaty. Ready to return to my son, the machines and the new routine.

I've decided there isn't much value in planning his return to school. I learned long ago that expectations only cause trouble. "This too shall pass" is my motto. "Be Still" is my mantra.

The absurdity of this horrible illness is that we are getting used to it. We are beginning to think that an 88 O2 is pretty good. Only having to suction every 30 minutes is "better" than yesterday. This is how we roll. We have to, or we'll fall apart. I'll save that for later. Probably when I'm not expecting it at some wildly inappropriate time.

For now, I will try my best not to spend too much money while online shopping. I'll be out there running my troubles away with my new favorite running buddy.

Hoping my best for an end to this new routine. Hoping.

Comments

Rachel Reeves said…
I hope to see you out there Sunday with those new shoes. I'll be thinking of you on this run and know that you are not just a fantastic mom, but a special friend and an amazing woman!

Popular posts from this blog

Note to my inner child.

What happened to you?

Letter to Dermot