appointments...



Today Dermot had his MRI and his blood drawn for some genetic tests. He did great, 90 minutes later he woke up shivering from the anesthesia, hungry and happy.

Later that same day, Dermot's new "stroller" arrived.
We've been looking forward to and dreading the arrival of Dermot's new "mobility device". It will allow him to be MUCH more supported while sitting, thus more engaged with his environment. It's a little scary because I'm sure we'll get "the stare" a little more than we do now, but I'm learning to get used to it.

Today was also the last day for Aunt Mary and Aunt Susan to stay with us. Everyone appreciated their visit. They made a few dinners for us and watched the boys more than once. What a helpful and enjoyable visit!



Next week is Dermot will start the ketogenic diet. We'll be admitted to the epilepsy ward at Children's St. Paul on Monday and have been told we'll be there 5-9 days.

Here's a link to more on the Keto Diet

It's going to be a lot of work, but it may mean getting Dermot off some of his seizure meds and be rid of the side effects that come along with them.

More info will come later...

Comments

Fawn said…
Hi Suzanne,

I just want to wish you luck on the keto diet! My daughter has epilepsy and we are keeping the ketogenic diet in mind as an option for her, although the medications seem promising at the moment...

I recently got in touch with another blogger whose son successfully used the diet for 2.5 years and is now a happy healthy seizure-free boy! (I realize Dermot has other medical issues, although I don't know what they are...) I was scared about how hard the diet would be, but she was very reassuring. If you'd like, I'd be happy to forward you an e-mail she sent me about things to expect and some tips and tricks. You can read her blog and her son Noah's story at Adventures in Babywearing. (Click on the link "Noah's Story".)

If you'd like the e-mail she sent me, you can get in touch with me through my blog at Fawnahareo's Place. My e-mail is listed on the "About" page.

And in case you're wondering, I came across your blog using "Google Alerts"... I've been looking for blogs that talk about the ketogenic diet and people's personal experiences with it. Haven't found much, to be honest!

Popular posts from this blog

Note to my inner child.

What happened to you?

Letter to Dermot